Diesel = tough, hard, nails, built like a brick shithouse
On point = good, excellent, brilliant, the dog's bollocks
Ninja/nigga = person, geezah, bloke
Minute = a while, years, donkey's ears, i.e. "I haven't been to that joint in a minute"
Joint = place, gaff, venue; also way, preference, kind of thing, i.e. "that's the joint; that's my joint"
Elevator = lift
Bathroom = toilet, bog, khasi
Waughder = water. This is the only way I can order water and be successfully understood inside of three attempts.
Order = ask for, request. Careful with this
I'll have the / gimme a = Could I have the...please? Commands are the norm when talking to service staff and waiters. It's more British to use requests, even if they're serving you
Garbage / trash = rubbish. All too easily discarded, if you';; pardon the pun
Band-aid = plaster
Q-tip = cotton bud
Vacuum = hoover
Saran wrap = clingfilm
Couch = sofa, setee
Grill = barbecue
Broiler = grill. This is really confusing. See also to broil (v) vs to grill.
Shorts = pants, kecks, jockeys, shreds, grundies
Pants = trousers, kecks, tracksuit bottoms, jeans, chinos
Deck = patio, balcony
TiVo = DVR
Teev = telly
Movie = film
Theatre / the movies = cinema, the pictures
Alright, that'll do it for now...
Like Alastair Cooke's "Letter From America", or Bill Bryson's "Notes From a Big Country"...only considerably less witty, informative and worthy of reading.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment